Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Alan Belcher calls out Vitor Belfort for UFC 153 in Brazil, Belfort responds [UPDATED]

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

Vitor_Belfort_180_4.jpeg
The UFC's middleweight division should come into focus a bit more in the next couple of months as fights are booked and fighters move themselves into position with wins or losses, and one fighter with a couple of possibilities is Vitor Belfort. After being forced out of his TUF coaches bout with Wanderlei Silva in June with a broken hand, Belfort is hoping to return on October 13 in the UFC's third event in Brazil this year.

He took to Twitter to discuss what he'd like to do on that card, with one name at the top of his list: Chris Weidman.

"Guys, I spoke to Joe Silva and asked to fight with the top contender [Weidman] here in Brazil," Belfort wrote. "I think this is the fight that will credence me to a title fight so that is what happened."

"I want the belt but I am not desperate. I think Weidman is the next for the belt, but Anderson Silva deserves to see who is next. So let's make this fight the next contender: Belfort vs Weidman the next contender for Anderson Silva."

Of course, Weidman believes he should be next in line for a title shot, and responded in kind to Belfort's callout.

"Love ya [Vitor] but you already had your shot at the belt and I'm sure you will have another in the future," Weidman wrote. "Right now is my time though."

Additionally, Belfort's got another challenger at the ready in Alan Belcher, who himself took to Twitter looking for that fight. In his first semi-cryptic tweet on the subject, Belcher hinted that a fight with Belfort was on tap for him, then later clarified that Belfort hasn't accepted the bout just yet.

"My next fight will be the biggest of my career!" Belcher wrote. "I may be taking a trip down south, very south."

"Belfort hasn't agreed," he continued on. "I will fight anyone, although I want to fight someone who will challenge me! I want to fight [Belfort] in his home country in October."

Penick's Analysis: Belfort may be holding out for the Weidman bout over Belcher, but I think Weidman may be getting the next shot at Silva, making Belfort-Belcher the most sensible fight in October. Belcher deserves another high profile fight and a shot at becoming the No. 1 contender after taking out Rousimar Palhares in May, and a fight with Belfort would be fantastic for his progression up the ladder. He's every bit as big of an opponent for Belfort as Weidman would be as well, so hopefully Belcher will go ahead and take that fight.

UPDATE: Belfort responded to Belcher's call-out on twitter, and this may be the fight that happens based on this comment:

"[Belcher], let's make this fight [at UFC Rio on] Oct. 13"

Junie Browning Paul Buentello  Josh Burkman  Mikey Burnett  Murilo Bustamante 

No comments:

Post a Comment